Setting & Participants
Outcomes & Measurements
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The predictive value of self-report scales compared with physician diagnosis of depression in hemodialysis patients.Kidney Int. 2006; 69: 1662-1668
- Depression and end-stage renal disease: a therapeutic challenge.Kidney Int. 2008; 74: 843-845
- Symptoms in end-stage renal disease: dialysis vs. transplantation.Transplant Proc. 1987; 19: 3407-3409
- Acute symptoms produced by hemodialysis: a review of their causes and associations.Semin Dial. 1993; 6: 59-69
- Minutes to recovery after a hemodialysis session: a simple health-related quality of life question that is reliable, valid, and sensitive to change.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 1: 952-959
- Screening for depression in hemodialysis patients: associations with diagnosis, treatment, and outcomes in the DOPPS.Kidney Int. 2004; 66: 2047-2053
- Depression: Causes and Treatment.University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia, PA1972
- Concurrent validity and psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory in outpatient adolescents.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1991; 30: 51-57
- Dimensions of dysfunctional attitudes as vulnerabilities to depressive symptoms.J Abnorm Psychol. 1995; 104: 431-435
- Validation of depression screening scales in patients with CKD.Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 54: 433-439
- Validation of two depression screening tools in dialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2005; 46: 919-924
- Depression as a predictor of mortality and hospitalization among hemodialysis patients in the United States and Europe.Kidney Int. 2002; 62: 199-207
- Multicenter trial of L-carnitine in maintenance hemodialysis patients. II. Clinical and biochemical effects.Kidney Int. 1990; 38: 912-918
- Regression of left ventricular hypertrophy after conversion to nocturnal hemodialysis.Kidney Int. 2002; 61: 2235-2239
- Volume control and blood pressure management in patients undergoing quotidian hemodialysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003; 42: S13-S17
- A one-year trial of in-center daily hemodialysis with an emphasis on quality of life.Blood Purif. 2004; 22: 320-328
- A systematic review of the effect of nocturnal hemodialysis on blood pressure, left ventricular hypertrophy, anemia, mineral metabolism, and health-related quality of life.Kidney Int. 2005; 67: 1500-1508
- Effect of frequent nocturnal hemodialysis vs conventional hemodialysis on left ventricular mass and quality of life: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1291-1299
- Scope and design of the Following Rehabilitation, Economics and Everyday-Dialysis Outcome Measurements (FREEDOM) Study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 53: 310-320
- Conversion between bromcresol green- and bromcresol purple-measured albumin in renal disease.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2001; 16: 1925-1929
- Second generation logarithmic estimates of single-pool variable volume: an analysis of error.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1993; 4: 1205-1213
- KDOQI Clinical Practice Guidelines and Clinical Practice Recommendations for 2006 updates: hemodialysis adequacy, peritoneal dialysis adequacy and vascular access.Am J Kidney Dis. 2006; 48: S1-S322
- Multiple measurements of depression predict mortality in a longitudinal study of chronic hemodialysis outpatients.Kidney Int. 2000; 57: 2093-2098
- Identification and treatment of depression in a cohort of patients maintained on chronic peritoneal dialysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2001; 37: 1011-1017
- KDOQI Clinical Practice Guideline and Clinical Practice Recommendations for Anemia in Chronic Kidney Disease: 2007 update of hemoglobin target.Am J Kidney Dis. 2007; 50: 471-530
- USRDS 2008 Annual Data Report.National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD2008
- Health-related quality of life as a predictor of mortality and hospitalization: the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS).Kidney Int. 2003; 64: 339-349
- The identification and treatment of depression in patients maintained on dialysis.Semin Dial. 2005; 18: 142-146
- Screening, diagnosis, and treatment of depression in patients with end-stage renal disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 2: 1332-1342
- Death or hospitalization of patients on chronic hemodialysis is associated with a physician-based diagnosis of depression.Kidney Int. 2008; 74: 930-936
- Depression in end-stage renal disease hemodialysis patients.Nat Clin Pract. 2006; 2: 678-687
- Epidemiology, diagnosis, and management of depression in patients with chronic kidney disease.Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 54: 741-752
Originally published online as doi:10.1053/j.ajkd.2010.04.019 on July 29, 2010.
A list of the members of the FREEDOM Study Group appears in the Acknowledgements.
Because an author of this manuscript is an editor for AJKD, the peer-review and decision-making processes were handled entirely by an Associate Editor (Thomas Depner, MD, University of California, Davis) who served as Acting Editor-in-Chief. Details of the journal's procedures for potential editor conflicts are given in the Editorial Policies section of the AJKD website.