Setting & Participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- US Renal Data System 2015 annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.Am J Kidney Dis. 2016; 67: S1-S434
- Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1296-12305
- Evaluation of cardiovascular disease burden and therapeutic goal attainment in US adults with chronic kidney disease: an analysis of National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey data, 2001-2010.BMC Nephrol. 2013; 14: 132
- Cardiovascular disease and chronic kidney disease.Dis Mon. 2015; 61: 403-413
- Coronary artery calcification in patients with CRF not undergoing dialysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2004; 44: 1024-1030
- Electron beam computed tomography in the evaluation of cardiac calcification in chronic dialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 1996; 27: 394-401
- Vascular calcification in patients with nondialysis CKD over 3 years.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 10: 654-666
- Impact of cardiovascular calcification in nondialyzed patients after 24 months of follow-up.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 189-194
- Coronary artery calcification and risk of cardiovascular disease and death among patients with chronic kidney disease.JAMA Cardiol. 2017; 2: 189-194
- Association of coronary artery calcium score and vascular dysfunction in long-term hemodialysis patients.Hemodial Int. 2013; 17: 216-222
- Total and individual coronary artery calcium scores as independent predictors of mortality in hemodialysis patients.Am J Nephrol. 2010; 31: 419-425
- Bone morphogenetic protein expression in human atherosclerotic lesions.J Clin Invest. 1993; 91: 1800-1809
- Phosphate regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell calcification.Circ Res. 2000; 87: E10-E17
- Medial vascular calcification revisted: review and perspectives.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 1515-1525
- Chronic renal failure-induced changes in serum and urine bile acid profiles.Dig Dis Sci. 2002; 47: 2398-2406
- Effect of chronic renal failure on the hepatic, intestinal, and renal expression of bile acid transporters.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014; 306: F130-F137
- Deoxycholic acid contributes to chronic kidney disease-dependent vascular calcification.Circulation. 2013; 128 ([abstract]): A14937
- FXR: a promising target for the metabolic syndrome?.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2007; 28: 236-243
- Farnesoid X receptor activation prevents the development of vascular calcification in ApoE-/- mice with chronic kidney disease.Circ Res. 2010; 106: 1807-1817
- Synthetic farnesoid X receptor agonists induce high-density lipoprotein-mediated transhepatic cholesterol efflux in mice and monkeys and prevent atherosclerosis in cholesteryl ester transfer protein transgenic low-density lipoprotein receptor (-/-) mice.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012; 343: 556-567
- Dual activation of the bile acid nuclear receptor FXR and G-protein-coupled receptor TGR5 protects mice against atherosclerosis.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e108270
- Bone loss and progression of abdominal aortic calcification over a 25 year period: the Framingham Heart Study.Calcif Tissue Int. 2001; 68: 271-276
- Progression of aortic calcification is associated with metacarpal bone loss during menopause: a population-based longitudinal study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000; 20: 1926-1931
- Aortic calcification and the risk of osteoporosis and fractures.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 4246-4253
- Progression of vascular calcifications is associated with greater bone loss and increased bone fractures.Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 1161-1166
- Calcifications in the abdominal aorta predict fractures in men: MINOS study.J Bone Miner Res. 2008; 23: 95-102
- Relationship between osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal women.J Bone Miner Res. 2005; 20: 1912-1920
- Arterial calcifications and bone histomorphometry in end-stage renal disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004; 15: 1943-1951
- Low bone volume – a risk factor for coronary calcifications in hemodialysis patients.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: 450-455
- Asturias Study Group. Vascular calcifications, vertebral fractures and mortality in haemodialysis patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009; 24: 239-246
- High parathyroid hormone level and osteoporosis predict progression of coronary artery calcification in patients on dialysis.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 26: 2534-2544
- Association of serum alkaline phosphatase and bone mineral density in maintenance hemodialysis patients.Hemodial Int. 2010; 14: 182-192
- Associations between vascular calcification, arterial stiffness and bone mineral density in chronic kidney disease.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008; 23: 586-593
- Bone formation rate in CKD patients not yet in dialysis treatment.J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25: 499-504
- Bone-vascular cross-talk.J Nephrol. 2012; 25: 619-625
- Effect of phosphate binders in moderate CKD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 23: 1407-1415
- Coronary and aortic calcifications in patients new to dialysis.Hemodial Int. 2004; 8: 265-272
- Effect of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors on coronary artery disease as assessed by electron-beam computed tomography.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 1972-1978
- The unfolded protein response: from stress pathway to homeostatic regulation.Science. 2011; 334: 1081-1086
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated apoptosis is activated in vascular calcification.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009; 387: 694-699
- Roles of the endoplasmic reticulum stress transducer OASIS in fracture healing.Bone. 2011; 49: 724-732
- A functional haplotype in EIF2AK3, an ER stress sensor, is associated with lower bone mineral density.J Bone Miner Res. 2012; 27: 331-341
- Deficiency of osteoblastic ARL6ip5 impaired osteoblast differentiation and enhanced osteoclastogenesis via disturbance of ER calcium homeostasis and induction of ER stress mediated apoptosis.Cell Death Dis. 2014; 16: 5e1464
- Regulation of ER molecular chaperone prevents bone loss in a murine model of osteoporosis.J Bone Miner Metab. 2010; 28: 131-138
- KDOQI US commentary on the 2009 KDIGO clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of CKD-mineral bone disorder (CKD-MBD).Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 773-799
- Cost of medical care for chronic kidney disease and comorbidity among enrollees in a large HMO population.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004; 15: 1300-1306
- Obesity-induced gut microbial metabolite promotes liver cancer through senescence secretome.Nature. 2013; 499: 97-101
- Within-day fluctuations in serum bile-acid concentrations among normal control subjects and patient with hepatic disease.Am J Clin Pathol. 1980; 73: 196-201
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Anna Jovanovich, MD, Tamara Isakova, MD, Geoffrey Block, MD, Jason Stubbs, MD, Gerard Smits, PhD, Michel Chonchol, MD, and Makoto Miyazaki, PhD.
Authors’ Contributions: Research idea and study design: AJ, TI, GS, MC, MM; data acquisition: AJ, GB, MC, MM; data analysis/interpretation: AJ, TI, GB, JS, MC, MM; statistical analysis: GS; supervision or mentorship: MC, MM. Each author contributed important intellectual content during manuscript drafting or revision and accepts accountability for the overall work by ensuring that questions pertaining to the accuracy or integrity of any portion of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Support: The research reported in this study was supported by grants from the Veterans Administration CDA 5IK2CX001030-03 (Dr Jovanovich) and the National Institutes of Health 1R01DK110087-01 , 5R01DK102438-03 , 5U01DK099930-05 (Dr Isakova), R01DK094796 (Dr Chonchol), R01DK096030 , R01HL117062 , and R01HL132318 (Dr Miyazaki). The funders of this study did not play any role in the study design; collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; writing the report; and decision to submit the report for publication.
Financial Disclosure: Dr Isakova reports receiving a consulting honorarium from Kyowa Hakko Kirin Co Ltd and investigational drugs for an ongoing study from Shire and Endurance Products Co. The other authors declare that they have no other relevant financial interests.
Peer Review: Received October 31, 2016. Evaluated by 2 external peer reviewers, with editorial input from a Statistics/Methods Editor, an Associate Editor, and the Editor-in-Chief. Accepted in revised form June 13, 2017.