Setting & Participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Health and climate change: policy responses to protect public health.Lancet. 2015; 386: 1861-1914
- Prognostic factors in heat wave-related deaths: a meta-analysis.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 2170-2176
- Pathophysiological factors underlying heatstroke.Med Hypotheses. 2006; 67: 609-617
- Pathophysiology of acute kidney injury.Compr Physiol. 2012; 2: 1303-1353
- Why do older patients die in a heatwave?.Q J Med. 2005; 98: 227-229
- The effect of high ambient temperature on emergency room visits.Epidemiology. 2012; 23: 813-820
- Cause-specific risk of hospital admission related to extreme heat in older adults.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2659-2667
- Association of summer temperatures with hospital admissions for renal diseases in New York state: a case-crossover study.Am J Epidemiol. 2012; 175: 907-916
- The effect of temperature on hospital admissions in nine California counties.Int J Public Health. 2010; 55: 113-121
- The impact of recent heat waves on human health in California.J Appl Meteorol Climatol. 2014; 53: 3-19
- The effect of heat waves on hospital admissions for renal disease in a temperate city of Australia.Int J Epidemiol. 2008; 37: 1359-1365
- Increased hospital admissions associated with extreme-heat exposure in King County, Washington, 1990-2010.Rev Environ Health. 2015; 30: 51-64
- The 2006 California heat wave: impacts on hospitalizations and emergency department visits.Environ Health Perspect. 2009; 117: 61-67
- The effects of temperature and use of air conditioning on hospitalizations.Am J Epidemiol. 2010; 172: 1053-1061
- Excess hospital admissions during the July 1995 heat wave in Chicago.Am J Prev Med. 1999; 16: 269-277
- Annual Demographic Estimates: Canada, Provinces and Territories.Minister of Industry, Ottawa, Ontario2012 (Catalogue no. 91-215-X)
- Acute kidney injury in the elderly: problems and prospects.Semin Nephrol. 2009; 29: 658-664
- Physical geography of Ontario.in: Perera A.H. Euler D.L. Thompson I.D. Ecology of a Managed Terrestrial Landscape: Patterns and Processes of Forest Landscapes in Ontario. UBC Press, Vancouver, British Colubmia2001: 12-29
- High-resolution probabilistic projections of temperature changes over Ontario, Canada.J Clim. 2014; 27: 5259-5284
- Service Bulletin EnviroStats.Minister of Industry, Ottawa, Ontario2011 (Catalogue no.16-002-X)
- The REporting of studies Conducted using Observational Routinely-collected health Data (RECORD) Statement.PLoS Med. 2015; 12: e1001885
- The feasibility of creating a checklist for the assessment of the methodological quality both of randomised and non-randomised studies of health care interventions.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1998; 52: 377-384
- Calcium-channel blocker – clarithromycin drug interactions and acute kidney injury.JAMA. 2014; 310: 2544-2553
- Characteristics and outcomes of AKI treated with dialysis during pregnancy and the postpartum period.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 26: 3085-3091
- Atypical antipsychotic drugs and the risk for acute kidney injury and other adverse outcomes in older adults: a population based cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 242-248
- Coding accuracy of administrative drug claims in the Ontario Drug Benefit database.Can J Clin Pharmacol. 2003; 10: 67-71
- Validity of the International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision code for acute kidney injury in elderly patients at presentation to the emergency department and at hospital admission.BMJ Open. 2012; 2: e001821
- Community-based incidence of acute renal failure.Kidney Int. 2007; 72: 208-212
- Urban-rural differences in daily time-activity patterns, occupational activity and housing characteristics.Environ Health. 2015; 14: 1-11
- Influence of race ethnicity and socioeconomic status on kidney disease.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2012; 8: 533-541
- The effect of weather on respiratory and cardiovascular deaths in 12 U.S. cities.Environ Health Perspect. 2002; 110: 859-863
- Extreme temperatures and mortality: assessing effect modification by personal characteristics and specific cause of death in a multi-city case-only analysis.Environ Health Perspect. 2006; 114: 1331-1336
- Humidex: a Method of Quantifying Human Discomfort Due to Excessive Heat and Humidity.Environment Canada, Downsview, Ontario1979
- Matching methods for causal inference: a review and look forward.Stat Sci. 2010; 25: 1-21
- Balance diagnostics for comparing the distribution of baseline covariates between treatment groups in propensity-score matched samples.Stat Med. 2009; 28: 3083-3107
- What do case-control studies estimate? Survey of methods and assumptions in published case-control research.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 168: 1073-1081
- Incidence rates in dynamic populations.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 1472-1479
- Case-control studies: basic concepts.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 1480-1489
- Climate Change Projections for Ontario: An Updated Synthesis for Policymakers and Planners.Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Science and Research Branch, Peterborough, Ontario2015
- A survey of public perception and response to heat warnings across four North American cities: an evaluation of municipal effectiveness.Int J Biometeorol. 2007; 52: 3-15
- Heat wave hazards: an overview of heat wave impacts in Canada.Nat Hazards. 2003; 28: 463-485
- Heat waves and morbidity: current knowledge and further direction-a comprehensive literature review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015; 12: 5256-5283
- Case-crossover analyses of air pollution exposure data.Epidemiology. 2005; 16: 717-726
- Reducing and meta-analysing estimates from distributed lag non-linear models.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2013; 13: 1-10
- Health Indicators 2013: Definitions, Data Sources and Rationale, May 2013.CIHI, Ottawa, Ontario2013
Environment and Climate Change Canada. Glossary, 2016. http://climate.weather.gc.ca/glossary_e.html. Accessed July 28, 2016.
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Rebecca K. McTavish, MSc, Lucie Richard, MA, Eric McArthur, MSc, Salimah Z. Shariff, PhD, Rey Acedillo, MD, Chirag R. Parikh, MD, PhD, Ron Wald, MDCM, Piotr Wilk, PhD, and Amit X. Garg, MD, PhD.
Authors’ Contributions: Study design/concept: RKMcT, SZS, LR, AXG; data acquisition/analysis: RKMcT, LR, EMcA; mentorship and data interpretation: RA, CRP, RW, PW. Each author contributed important intellectual content during manuscript drafting or revision and accepts accountability for the overall work by ensuring that questions pertaining to the accuracy or integrity of any portion of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Support: We thank IMS Brogan Inc for use of their Drug Information Database. Parts of this material are based on data and information compiled and provided by CIHI. This study was supported by ICES, which is funded by an annual grant from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC). This project also received grant funding support from the Innovation Fund of the Academic Health Sciences Centre Alternative Funding Plan of the Academic Medical Organization of Southwestern Ontario (AMOSO). The study was conducted by the Kidney, Dialysis, and Transplantation program at the ICES Western facility, which received financial support from AMOSO, the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University, and the Lawson Health Research Institute. Dr Garg was supported by the Dr Adam Linton Chair in Kidney Health Analytics, the Opportunities Fund of the Academic Health Sciences Centre Alternative Funding Plan of AMOSO, and a Clinician Investigator Award from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Ms McTavish was a trainee on this project and was supported by the Lilibeth Caberto Kidney Clinical Research Unit, Western University, and an Ontario Graduate Scholarship. None of the aforementioned funders had any role in study design, analysis and interpretation of data, writing the report, or the decision to submit the report for publication.
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no other relevant financial interests.