Setting & Participants
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- advance care planning (ACP)
- conservative care
- shared decision making
- ACP discussions
- doctor-patient communication
- semi-structured interviews
- informed decision-making
- patient preferences
- supportive care
- medical futility
- nephrology training
- chronic renal insufficiency
- advance directives
- conservative treatment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Conservative management and end of life care in an Australian cohort with ESRD.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 11: 2195-2203
- Prevalence and contents of advance directives of patients with ESRD receiving dialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 12: 2204-2209
- Symptom burden, quality of life, advance care planning and the potential value of palliative care in severely ill haemodialysis patients.Nephrol Dial Ttansplant. 2003; 18: 1345-1352
- Advance directives are associated with “good deaths” in chronic dialysis patients.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1993; 3: 1623-1630
- Advance directives and end-of-life care among nursing home residents receiving maintenance dialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 12: 435-442
- Hope and advance care planning in patients with end stage renal disease: qualitative interview study.BMJ. 2006; 333: 886
- Facilitating advance care planning for patients with end-stage renal disease: the patient perspective.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 1: 1023-1028
- Advance care planning: a qualitative study of dialysis patients and families.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 10: 390-400
- Advance care planning among people living with dialysis.Healthcare. 2016; 4: 17
- Process and impact of an advance care planning intervention evaluated by bereaved surrogate decision-makers of dialysis patients.Palliat Med. 2017; 31: 267-274
- Clinicians’ perspectives on advance care planning for patients with CKD in Australia: an interview study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 70: 315-323
- Burden and quality of life of caregivers for hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2002; 39: 805-812
- Executive summary of the KDIGO Controversies Conference on Supportive Care in Chronic Kidney Disease: developing a roadmap to improving quality care.Kidney Int. 2015; 88: 447-459
- Thematic synthesis of qualitative studies on patient and caregiver perspectives on end-of-life care in CKD.Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 63: 913-927
- Consolidated criteria for reporting qualitative research (COREQ): a 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups.Int J Qual Health Care. 2007; 19: 349-357
- Advance care planning for adults with CKD: a systematic integrative review.Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 63: 761-770
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Res Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Advance care planning discussions in advanced cancer: analysis of dialogues between patients and care planning mediators.Palliat Support Care. 2011; 9: 73-79
- Thoughts on the future: the perspectives of elderly people with early-stage Alzheimer's disease and the implications for advance care planning.AJOB Primary Res. 2012; 3: 14-22
- The views of patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on advance care planning: a qualitative study.Palliat Med. 2013; 27: 265-272
- Discussions of the kidney disease trajectory by elderly patients and nephrologists: a qualitative study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 59: 495-503
- End-of-life care preferences and needs: perceptions of patients with chronic kidney disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 195-204
- Existential and supportive care needs among patients with chronic kidney disease.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010; 40: 838-843
- The relationship between spirituality, psychosocial adjustment to illness, and health-related quality of life in patients with advanced chronic kidney disease.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2013; 45: 170-178
- The views of patients and carers in treatment decision making for chronic kidney disease: systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative studies.BMJ. 2010; 340: c112
- Advance care planning and end-of-life decision making in dialysis: a randomized controlled trial targeting patients and their surrogates.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 66: 813-822
- Randomized controlled trial of SPIRIT: an effective approach to preparing African-American dialysis patients and families for end of life.Res Nurs Health. 2009; 32: 260-273
- Improving quality of life in patients with chronic kidney disease: influence of acceptance and personality.Nephrol Dial Ttansplant. 2013; 28: 116-121
- Beyond unfavorable thinking: the illness cognition questionnaire for chronic diseases.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2001; 69: 1026-1036
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Marcus Sellars, PGDipPsych, Josephine M. Clayton, MBBS, FRACP, PhD, Rachael L. Morton, PhD, Tim Luckett, PhD, William Silvester, MBBS, FRACP, FCICM, Lucy Spencer, MNurs(NursPrac), Carol A. Pollock, MBBS, FRACP, PhD, Rowan G. Walker, MBBS, FRACP, MD, MPH, Peter G. Kerr, MB, BS (Hons), PhD, FRACP, and Allison Tong, PhD.
Authors’ Contributions: Research idea and study design: JMC, MS, AT; data acquisition: MS; data analysis/interpretation: MS, JMC, RLM, WS, TL, LS, CP, RGW, PGK, AT; thematic analysis: MS, AT, JMC; supervision or mentorship: JMC, AT. Each author contributed important intellectual content during manuscript drafting or revision and accepts accountability for the overall work by ensuring that questions pertaining to the accuracy or integrity of any portion of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Support: This study was supported by a competitive grant from Kidney Health Australia. Mr Sellars is supported by a University of Sydney Postgraduate Award and the Ramsay Health Care Foundation Top-Up Scholarship. Dr Tong is supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Fellowship (1106716). Dr Morton is supported by an Australian NHMRC Fellowship (1054216). The funders had no role in study design; collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; writing the report; or the decision to submit the report for publication.
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no other relevant financial interests.