Setting & Participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The losartan renal protection study–rationale, study design and baseline characteristics of RENAAL (reduction of endpoints in NIDDM with the angiotensin II antagonist losartan).J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2000; 1: 328-335
- The Irbesartan Type II Diabetic Nephropathy Trial: study design and baseline patient characteristics. For the Collaborative Study Group.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2000; 15: 487-497
- Effect of blood pressure lowering and antihypertensive drug class on progression of hypertensive kidney disease: results from the AASK trial.JAMA. 2002; 288: 2421-2431
- The effects of dietary protein restriction and blood-pressure control on the progression of chronic renal disease. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 877-884
- Angiotensin-receptor blockade versus converting-enzyme inhibition in type 2 diabetes and nephropathy.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1952-1961
- Randomised placebo-controlled trial of effect of ramipril on decline in glomerular filtration rate and risk of terminal renal failure in proteinuric, non-diabetic nephropathy.Lancet. 1997; 349: 1857-1863
- Renoprotective properties of ACE-inhibition in non-diabetic nephropathies with non-nephrotic proteinuria.Lancet. 1999; 354: 359-364
- Surrogate end points for clinical trials of kidney disease progression.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 1: 874-884
- Progression of diabetic nephropathy.Lancet. 1979; 1: 1105-1106
- Longitudinal progression trajectory of GFR among patients with CKD.Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 59: 504-512
- Patterns and predictors of kidney function decline in the last year prior to dialysis.Nephron Clin Pract. 2009; 111: c95-c101
- The BErgamo NEphrologic DIabetes complications trial (BENEDICT): design and baseline characteristics.Control Clin Trials. 2003; 24: 442-461
- Renoprotection of Optimal Antiproteinuric Doses (ROAD) Study: a randomized controlled study of benazepril and losartan in chronic renal insufficiency.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 18: 1889-1898
- Efficacy and safety of benazepril for advanced chronic renal insufficiency.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 131-140
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- A simple method of estimating progression of chronic renal failure.Lancet. 1976; 2: 1326-1328
- Progression of nephropathy in long-term diabetics with proteinuria and effect of initial anti-hypertensive treatment.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1976; 36: 383-388
- A prospective study of glomerular filtration rate and arterial blood pressure in insulin-dependent diabetics with diabetic nephropathy.Diabetologia. 1981; 20: 457-461
- Monitoring glomerular function in diabetic nephropathy. A prospective study.Am J Med. 1983; 74: 256-264
- The early decline in renal function in patients with type 1 diabetes and proteinuria predicts the risk of end-stage renal disease.Kidney Int. 2012; 82: 589-597
- Identifying subgroups of renal function trajectories.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017; 32: ii185-ii193
- Nonlinear trajectory of GFR in children before RRT.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 25: 913-917
- Effects of lowering LDL cholesterol on progression of kidney disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 25: 1825-1833
- A meta-analysis of the association of estimated GFR, albuminuria, diabetes mellitus, and hypertension with acute kidney injury.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 66: 602-612
- Trajectories of kidney function decline in the 2 years before initiation of long-term dialysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 59: 513-522
- GFR decline as an end point for clinical trials in CKD: A scientific workshop sponsored by the National Kidney Foundation and the US Food and Drug Administration.Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 64: 821-835
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Misghina Weldegiorgis, MSc, Dick de Zeeuw, MD, PhD, Liang Li, PhD, Hans-Henrik Parving, MD, PhD, Fan Fan Hou, MD, PhD, Giuseppe Remuzzi, MD, PhD, Tom Greene, PhD, and Hiddo J.L. Heerspink, PhD.
Authors’ Contributions: Data collection: HHP, GR, FFH; data analysis: MW, LL, TG, HJLH; data interpretation: MW, DdZ, HJLH. Each author contributed important intellectual content during manuscript drafting or revision and accepts accountability for the overall work by ensuring that questions pertaining to the accuracy or integrity of any portion of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Support: Dr Heerspink is supported by a VIDI grant ( 0.16.156.306 ) from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research .
Financial Disclosure: Dr de Zeeuw is consultant for and received honoraria (to employer) from AbbVie, Astellas, Eli-Lilly, Chemocentryx, Fresenius, and Janssen. Dr Heerspink is consultant for AbbVie, Astellas, Astra Zeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, Fresenius, Janssen, and Merck and has a policy that all honoraria are paid to his employer. The other authors report that they have no relevant financial interests.