Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Medicare Provider Utilization and Payment Data: Part D Prescriber Data CY 2015. Drug Summary Table: “Part D Drug National Summary table, CY2015, Microsoft Excel (.xlsx)”. https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Medicare-Provider-Charge-Data/PartD2015.html. Accessed September 11, 2017.
- Utilization and costs of medications associated with CKD mineral and bone disorder in dialysis patients enrolled in Medicare Part D.Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 64: 770-780
- US Renal Data System 2016 annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: S1-S688
- A review of phosphate binders in chronic kidney disease: incremental progress or just higher costs?.Drugs. 2017; 77: 1155-1186
US Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry: diabetes mellitus - evaluating cardiovascular risk in new antidiabetic therapies to treat type 2 diabetes. www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidances/ucm071627.pdf. Accessed September 11, 2017.
- Relationships between serum and urine phosphorus with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality: the Osteop.otic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 61: 555-563
- Serum phosphorus levels associate with coronary atherosclerosis in young adults.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 397-404
- Longitudinal relationships among coronary artery calcification, serum phosphorus, and kidney function.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: 1968-1973
- Relation between serum phosphate level and cardiovascular event rate in people with coronary disease.Circulation. 2005; 112: 2627-2633
- Relations of serum phosphorus and calcium levels to the incidence of cardiovascular disease in the community.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 879-885
- Mineral metabolism, mortality, and morbidity in maintenance hemodialysis.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004; 15: 2208-2218
- Association of elevated serum PO(4), Ca x PO(4) product, and parathyroid hormone with cardiac mortality risk in chronic hemodialysis patients.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001; 12: 2131-2138
- Serum phosphate and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 2251-2257
- Serum phosphate as a risk factor for cardiovascular events in people with and without chronic kidney disease: a large community based cohort study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e74996
- Serum phosphate levels and mortality risk among people with chronic kidney disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005; 16: 520-528
- KDIGO 2017 clinical practice guideline update for the diagnosis, evaluation, prevention and treatment of chronic kidney disease-mineral and bone disorder CKD-MBD.Kidney Int Suppl. 2017; 7: 1-59
- Prevalence and progression of cardiovascular calcifications in peritoneal dialysis patients: a prospective study.Bone. 2012; 51: 332-337
- Combined use of vitamin D status and FGF23 for risk stratification of renal outcome.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7: 810-819
- Effects of phosphate binders in moderate CKD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 23: 1407-1415
- Oral calcium carbonate affects calcium but not phosphorus balance in stage 3-4 chronic kidney disease.Kidney Int. 2013; 83: 959-966
- Phosphate-binding agents in adults with CKD: a network meta-analysis of randomized trials.Am J Kidney Dis. 2016; 68: 691-702
- Comparative effectiveness of phosphate binders in patients with chronic kidney disease: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0156891
- Practice patterns of phosphate binder use and their associations with mortality in chronic kidney disease.Clin Nephrol. 2014; 82: 16-25
- Comparative effectiveness of calcium-containing phosphate binders in incident U.S. dialysis patients.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011; 6: 175-183
- Phosphorus binders and survival on hemodialysis.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 388-396
- Outcomes associated with phosphorus binders in men with non-dialysis-dependent CKD.Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 56: 842-851
- Two phosphAte taRGets in End-stage renal disease Trial (TARGET): a randomized controlled trial.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 12: 965-973
- Sevelamer versus calcium-based binders for treatment of hyperphosphatemia in CKD: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 11: 232-244
- The efficacy and safety of sevelamer and lanthanum versus calcium-containing and iron-based binders in treating hyperphosphatemia in patients with chronic kidney disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017; 32: 111-125
- Effects of sevelamer and calcium-based phosphate binders on mortality in hemodialysis patients.Kidney Int. 2007; 72: 1130-1137
- Sevelamer versus calcium carbonate in incident hemodialysis patients: results of an open-label 24-month randomized clinical trial.Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 62: 771-778
- Comparative effectiveness of calcium acetate and sevelamer on clinical outcomes in elderly hemodialysis patients enrolled in Medicare Part D.Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 64: 95-103
- A systematic review of the prevalence and determinants of nonadherence to phosphate binding medication in patients with end-stage renal disease.BMC Nephrol. 2008; 9: 2
- Medication adherence in randomized controlled trials evaluating cardiovascular or mortality outcomes in dialysis patients: a systematic review.BMC Nephrol. 2017; 18: 42
- Economic evaluations of interventions to manage hyperphosphataemia in adult haemodialysis patients: a systematic review.Nephrology (Carlton). 2016; 21: 178-187
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Chronic kidney disease (stage 4 or 5): management of hyperphosphataemia: clinical guideline [CG157]. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg157. Accessed September 11, 2017.
- Cost-effectiveness of phosphate binders among patients with chronic kidney disease not yet on dialysis: a long way to go.BMC Nephrol. 2016; 17: 75
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Hyperphosphataemia in chronic kidney disease: evidence update December 2014. http://arms.evidence.nhs.uk/resources/hub/1041123/attachment. Accessed September 11, 2017.
Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General. High-price drugs are increasing federal payments for Medicare Part D catastrophic coverage. https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-02-16-00270.pdf. Accessed September 11, 2017.
- The 2009 proposed rule for prospective ESRD payment: historical perspectives and public policies–bundle up!.Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 217-222
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Medicare Benefit Policy Manual: Chapter 11-End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). (Rev. 224, 06-03-16) https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/downloads/bp102c11.pdf. Accessed September 11, 2017.
Brandicourt O. Sanofi pricing principles for the U.S. http://mediaroom.sanofi.com/sanofi-pricing-principles-for-the-u-s/. Accessed September 11, 2017.
Sanofi. Q3 2017 Sales Performance. https://en.sanofi.com/Images/50350_Q3-2017-Results.pdf. Accessed November 10, 2017.
- A trial of darbepoetin alfa in type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 2019-2032
- The phosphate binder equivalent dose.Semin Dial. 2011; 24: 41-49
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Wendy L. St. Peter, PharmD, Lori D. Wazny, PharmD, and Eric D. Weinhandl, PhD, MS.
Financial Disclosure: Dr Weinhandl is also employed by NxStage Medical, but declares no conflicts of interest with the content of this article. Drs St. Peter and Wazny declare that they have no relevant financial interests.