Setting & Participants
Outcomes & Measurements
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Mineral metabolism, mortality, and morbidity in maintenance hemodialysis.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004; 15: 2208-2218
- Survival predictability of time-varying indicators of bone disease in maintenance hemodialysis patients.Kidney Int. 2006; 70: 771-780
- Nonadherence in hemodialysis: associations with mortality, hospitalization, and practice patterns in the DOPPS.Kidney Int. 2003; 64: 254-262
- Prevalence and consequences of nonadherence to hemodialysis regimens.Am J Crit Care. 2007; 16: 222-235
- Nonadherence to medication therapy in haemodialysis patients: a systematic review.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0144119
- Non-compliance in hemodialysis: predictors and survival analysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 1998; 32: 139-145
- Self-management interventions for chronic illness.Lancet. 2004; 364: 1523-1537
- Self-management approaches for people with chronic conditions: a review.Patient Educ Couns. 2002; 48: 177-187
- Educational interventions in kidney disease care: a systematic review of randomized trials.Am J Kidney Dis. 2008; 51: 933-951
- Interventions to improve hemodialysis adherence: a systematic review of randomized-controlled trials.Hemodial Int. 2010; 14: 370-382
- A systematic review of psychological interventions for the treatment of nonadherence to fluid-intake restrictions in people receiving hemodialysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2005; 45: 15-27
Taylor S, Pinnock H, Epiphanou E, et al. A rapid synthesis of the evidence on interventions supporting self-management for people with long-term conditions: PRISMS - Practical Systematic Review of Self-Management Support for long-term conditions. Health Services and Delivery Research, No. 2.53. Southampton, UK: NIHR Journals Library; 2014.
- The NKF-NUS hemodialysis trial protocol-a randomized controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of a self management intervention for hemodialysis patients.BMC Nephrol. 2011; 12: 1
- Designing and evaluating complex interventions to improve health care.BMJ. 2007; 334: 455-459
- Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change.Psychol Rev. 1977; 84: 191
- Managing treatment for end-stage renal disease – a qualitative study exploring cultural perspectives on facilitators and barriers to treatment adherence.Psychol Health. 2012; 28: 13-29
- Peer support within a health care context: a concept analysis.Int J Nurs Stud. 2003; 40: 321-332
- Fluid retention is associated with cardiovascular mortality in patients undergoing long-term hemodialysis.Circulation. 2009; 119: 671-679
- Interdialytic weight gain and cardiovascular outcome in incident hemodialysis patients.Am J Nephrol. 2014; 39: 427-435
- Assessing adherence to dietary recommendations for hemodialysis patients: the Renal Adherence Attitudes Questionnaire (RAAQ) and the Renal Adherence Behaviour Questionnaire (RABQ).J Psychosom Res. 1998; 45: 149-157
- Patients’ beliefs about prescribed medicines and their role in adherence to treatment in chronic physical illness.J Psychosom Res. 1999; 47: 555-567
- The Health Education Impact Questionnaire (hei-Q): an outcomes and evaluation measure for patient education and self-management interventions for people with chronic conditions.Patient Educ Couns. 2007; 66: 192-201
- Effect of a self-management program for patients with chronic disease.Eff Clin Pract. 2001; 4: 256-262
- CONSORT 2010 explanation and elaboration: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials.BMJ. 2010; 340: c869
- Intention-to-treat: methods for dealing with missing values in clinical trials of progressively deteriorating diseases.Stat Med. 2001; 20: 3931-3946
- Effect of behavioural self-regulation intervention on patient adherence in hemodialysis.Health Psychol. 2002; 21: 393-397
- Gap between short- and long-term effects of patient education in rheumatoid arthritis patients: A systematic review.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2004; 51: 388-398
- Self-management education for adults with type 2 diabetes a meta-analysis of the effect on glycemic control.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 1159-1171
- Renal osteodystrophy: pathophysiology.Semin Nephrol. 1992; 12: 91-100
- Interventions used in disease management programmes for patients with chronic illness-which ones work? Meta-analysis of published reports.BMJ. 2002; 325: 925
- Annual Registry Report 1999-2014.Singapore Renal Registry, National Registry of Diseases Office, Ministry of Health, 2015
- US Renal Data System 2016 annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: S1-S688
Ministry of Manpower Singapore. Summary table: income. Labour Market Statistical Information. Published 2017. http://stats.mom.gov.sg/Pages/Income-Summary-Table.aspx. Accessed April 14, 2017.
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Konstadina Griva, PhD, Mooppil Nandakumar, MRCP (UK), Jo-an H. Ng, BSocSci (Hon), Kevin F.Y. Lam, BSocSci (Hon), Hayley McBain, PhD, and Stanton P. Newman, DPhil.
Authors’ Contributions: Research idea and study design: KG, SPN, HMcB; data acquisition: JHN, MN; data analysis/interpretation: KG, HMcB; statistical analysis: KG, KFYL; supervision or mentorship: KG. Each author contributed important intellectual content during manuscript drafting or revision and accepts accountability for the overall work by ensuring that questions pertaining to the accuracy or integrity of any portion of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Support: The study was funded by the NKF Singapore Research Fund ( NKFRC2008/07/24 ) and Ministry of Education-NUS Academic Research Fund ( FY2007-FRC5-006 ). Dr Griva received research funding from NKF Singapore. The funding sources had no role in the study design or intervention, recruitment of patients, data collection, analysis, or interpretation of the results, writing of the manuscript, or decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
Financial Disclosures: The authors declare that they have no other relevant financial interests.