Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
UNHCR. Global forced displacement hits record high 2017. http://www.unhcr.org/news/latest/2016/6/5763b65a4/global-forced-displacement-hits-record-high.html. Accessed December 12, 2017.
UNHCR. Regional Refugee and Migrant Response Plan for Europe - 2017. http://reporting.unhcr.org/node/17167. Accessed December 12, 2017.
- Renal replacement therapy for refugees with end-stage kidney disease: an international survey of the nephrological community.Kidney Int Suppl. 2016; 2: 35-41
- affluence and morality.Philospohy and public affairs. 1972; 1: 229-243
- Challenges in the provision of healthcare services for migrants: a systematic review through providers' lens.BMC Health Services Res. 2015; 15: 390
- Health care for irregular migrants: pragmatism across Europe: a qualitative study.BMC Res Notes. 2012; 5: 99
- The first contacts between healthcare providers and newly-arrived asylum seekers: a qualitative study about which issues need to be addressed.Public Health. 2013; 127: 668-673
- Physicians' perceptions of patients' social and behavioral characteristics and race disparities in treatment recommendations for men with coronary artery disease.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 351-357
- Research on the provider contribution to race/ethnicity disparities in medical care.Med Care. 2002; 40: 1140-1151
- The influence of patients' immigration background and residence permit status on treatment decisions in health care. Results of a factorial survey among general practitioners in Switzerland.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 161: 64-73
- Characteristics and outcome of migrant patients without a stable resident status starting hemodialysis in a Swiss university hospital.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017; 32: iii355
- Doing the right thing: relief agencies, moral dilemmas and responsibility in political emergencies and war.Disasters. 1997; 21: 244-257
- Challenging operations: an ethical framework to assist humanitarian aid workers in their decision-making processes.PLoS Currents. 2014; 6 (https://doi.org/10.1371/currents.dis.96bec99f13800a8059bb5b5a82028bbf)
- The Quest for a Moral Compass: A Global History of Ethics.Atlantic Books, Brooklyn, NY2014
- Evidence on public health interventions in humanitarian crises.Lancet. 2017; 390: 2287-2296
- The illness experience of undocumented immigrants with end-stage renal Disease.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 529-535
- Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge1982
- Cultural competence: a conceptual framework for teaching and learning.Med Educ. 2009; 43: 229-237
- Cultural competence: a systematic review of health care provider educational interventions.Med Care. 2005; 43: 356-373
- Non-conscious bias in medical decision making: what can be done to reduce it?.Med Educ. 2011; 45: 768-776
- Ethical challenges in the provision of dialysis in resource-constrained environments.Semin Nephrol. 2017; 37: 273-286
- Kidney transplantation: is there any place for refugees?.Transplant Proc. 2007; 39: 895-897
- “It is not easy”: challenges for provider-initiated HIV testing and counseling in Flanders, Belgium.AIDS Educ Prevent. 2012; 24: 456-468
- Unusual microorganisms and antimicrobial resistances in a group of Syrian migrants: sentinel surveillance data from an asylum seekers centre in Italy.Travel Med Infect Dis. 2016; 14: 115-122
- Louse-borne relapsing fever among East African refugees in Europe.Travel Med Infect Dis. 2016; 14: 110-114
- The seroprevalence of hepatitis C antibodies in immigrants and refugees from intermediate and high endemic countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PloS One. 2015; 10: e0141715
- The burden of tuberculosis in crisis-affected populations: a systematic review.Lancet Infect Dis. 2012; 12: 950-965
- Refugee crisis and re-emergence of forgotten infections in Europe.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016; 22: 8-9
- Long-term effects of neighbourhood deprivation on diabetes risk: quasi-experimental evidence from a refugee dispersal policy in Sweden.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 517-524
- Prevalence and care-seeking for chronic diseases among Syrian refugees in Jordan.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 1097
- Hypertension and treatment outcomes in Palestine refugees in United Nations Relief and Works Agency primary health care clinics in Jordan.Trop Med Int Health. 2014; 19: 1276-1283
- Doctor's perception of doctor-patient relationships in emergency departments: what roles do gender and ethnicity play?.BMC Health Serv Res. 2008; 8: 82
- Cultural competence among nurse practitioners working with asylum seekers.Nurs Educ Today. 2010; 30: 821-826
- Clinician/patient connections in ethnoculturally nonconcordant encounters with political-asylum seekers: a comparison of physicians and nurses.J Transcultural Nurs. 2005; 16: 298-311
- Post-traumatic stress disorder among Syrian refugees in Turkey: a cross-sectional study.Int J Psychiatry Clin Pract. 2015; 19: 45-50
Bundes Psychotherapeuten Kammer. Mindestens die Hälfte der Flüchtlinge ist psychisch krank. http://www.bptk.de/aktuell/einzelseite/artikel/mindestens-d.html. Accessed December 12, 2017.
- Health inequities and social justice. The moral foundations of public health.Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz. 2008; 51: 151-157
- The Syrian conflict: assessment of the ESRD system and response to hemodialysis needs during a humanitarian and medical crisis.Kidney Int. 2015; 87: 262-265
- Reproductive health indicators and outcomes among refugee and internally displaced persons in postemergency phase camps.JAMA. 2002; 288: 595-603
- Syrian refugees in Lebanon: the search for universal health coverage.Conflict Health. 2016; 10: 12
- The effect of war on Syrian refugees with end-stage renal disease.Kidney Int Rep. 2017; 2: 960-963
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Wim Van Biesen, MD, PhD, Raymond Vanholder, MD, PhD, Thomas Ernandez, MD, PhD, Daniel Drewniak, PhD, and Valerie Luyckx, MD, MSc.
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Peer Review: Received July 6, 2017, in response to an invitation from the journal. Evaluated by 2 external peer reviewers, with direct editorial input from the Feature Editor and a Deputy Editor. Accepted in revised form October 18, 2017.