Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in US vascular access use, patient preferences, and related practices: an update from the US DOPPS Practice Monitor with international comparisons.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 65: 905-915
- US Renal Data System 2016 annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: S1-S688
- Outcomes of early versus late nephrology referral in chronic kidney disease: a systematic review.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 1073-1080
- Nephrology care prior to end-stage renal disease and outcomes among new ESRD patients in the USA.Clin Kidney J. 2015; 8: 772-780
- Late nephrology referral and mortality among patients with end-stage renal disease: a propensity score analysis.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004; 19: 1808-1814
- Late referral to a nephrologist reduces access to renal transplantation.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003; 42: 1043-1049
- Prevalence, predictors, and consequences of late nephrology referral at a tertiary care center.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1999; 10: 1281-1286
- Impact of timing of nephrology referral and pre-ESRD care on mortality risk among new ESRD patients in the United States.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003; 41: 310-318
- Late acceleration of glomerular filtration rate decline is a risk for hemodialysis catheter use in patients with established nephrology chronic kidney disease care.Hemodial Int. 2015; 19: 379-385
- Factors associated with suboptimal initiation of dialysis despite early nephrologist referral.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013; 28: 392-397
- Predictors of suboptimal and crash initiation of dialysis at two tertiary care centers.Hemodial Int. 2012; 16: S39-S46
- The psychosocial experience of patients with end-stage renal disease and its impact on quality of life: findings from a needs assessment to shape a service.ISRN Nephrol. 2013; : 308986
- Prevalence and patterns of depression and anxiety in hemodialysis patients: a 12-month prospective study on incident and prevalent populations.Br J Health Psychol. 2015; 20: 374-395
- Predictors of early mortality among incident US hemodialysis patients in the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS).Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 2: 89-99
- Temporal distribution of arrhythmic events in chronic kidney disease: highest incidence in the long interdialytic period.Heart Rhythm. 2015; 12: 2047-2055
- Characteristics of sudden death in hemodialysis patients.Kidney Int. 2006; 69: 2268-2273
- Worldwide, mortality risk is high soon after initiation of hemodialysis.Kidney Int. 2014; 85: 158-165
- Perceptions about renal replacement therapy among nephrology professionals.Nephrol News Issues. 2010; 24 (38, 40): 36
- Patient and caregiver perspectives on home hemodialysis: a systematic review.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 65: 451-463
- Shared Decision-Making in the Appropriate Initiation of and Withdrawal From Dialysis: Clinical Practice Guideline.2nd ed. RPA, Rockville, MD2010
- Patient perspectives on informed decision-making surrounding dialysis initiation.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013; 28: 2815-2823
- Satisfaction with renal replacement therapy and education: the American Association of Kidney Patients survey.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011; 6: 605-612
- Delivering better quality of care: relentless focus and starting with the end in mind at DaVita.Semin Dial. 2016; 29: 111-118
- Effects of a nationwide predialysis educational program on modality choice, vascular access, and patient outcomes.Am J Kidney Dis. 2011; 58: 235-242
Medicare and Medicaid Programs. Conditions for Coverage for End-Stage Renal Disease Facilities; Final Rule. https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/CFCsAndCoPs/downloads/esrdfinalrule0415.pdf. Accessed June 12, 2017.
- Dedication of a nurse to educating suboptimal haemodialysis starts improved transition to independent modalities of renal replacement therapy.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011; 26: 2302-2308
- A hemodialysis orientation unit.Nephron. 1983; 33: 106-110
- The “right” of passage: surviving the first year of dialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: S114-S120
- A crucial lifeline: reducing mortality in the first 120 days.Nephrol News Issues. 2012; 26 (26-27): 22-24
- Ultrafiltration rate and mortality in maintenance hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2016; 68: 911-922
- Effect of an in-hospital chronic kidney disease education program among patients with unplanned urgent-start dialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011; 6: 799-804
- The IMPACT (Incident Management of Patients, Actions Centered on Treatment) program: a quality improvement approach for caring for patients initiating long-term hemodialysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 60: 435-443
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Brendan Bowman, MD, Sijie Zheng, MD, Alex Yang, MD, Brigitte Schiller, MD, José A. Morfín, MD, Melvin Seek, MD, and Robert S. Lockridge, MD.
Financial Disclosure: Dr Schiller is an employee of Satellite Healthcare. Dr Morfin is a member of NxStage Medical Advisory Board and a consultant for Satellite Healthcare. Dr Lockridge has received speaking fees from Davita, Fresenius Medical Care North America, and NxStage Medical Inc. The other authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Peer Review: Received August 4, 2017. Evaluated by 3 external peer reviewers, with direct editorial input from an Associate Editor and a Deputy Editor. Accepted in revised form January 7, 2018.