Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- World Cancer Report 2014.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2014
- A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2224-2260
- Prevalence, harm perceptions, and reasons for using noncombustible tobacco products among current and former smokers.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 1437-1444
- Association of long-term, low-intensity smoking with all-cause and cause-specific mortality in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 87-95
- Cigarette smoking and chronic kidney disease in the general population: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017; 32: 475-487
- Traditional cardiovascular disease risk factors in dialysis patients compared with the general population: the CHOICE Study.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2002; 13: 1918-1927
- Cigarette smoking and vascular pathology in renal biopsies.Kidney Int. 2002; 61: 648-654
- Effects of smoking on systemic and intrarenal hemodynamics: influence on renal function.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004; 15: 58S-63S
- Smoking–a renal risk factor.Nephron. 2000; 86: 12-26
- Novel and reversible mechanisms of smoking-induced insulin resistance in humans.Diabetes. 2012; 61: 3156-3166
- Clinical correlates of insulin sensitivity and its association with mortality among men with CKD stages 3 and 4.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 9: 690-697
- Acute effects of cigarette smoke on inflammation and oxidative stress: a review.Thorax. 2004; 59: 713-721
- Associations between circulating inflammatory markers and residual renal function in CRF patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003; 41: 1212-1218
- Effects of smoking cessation on blood pressure and heart rate variability in habitual smokers.Hypertension. 1999; 33: 586-590
- Effects of smoking on 24-h ambulatory blood pressure and autonomic function in normoalbuminuric insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus patients.Am J Hypertens. 1998; 11: 1093-1099
- Blood pressure and end-stage renal disease in men.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 13-18
- Blood pressure predicts risk of developing end-stage renal disease in men and women.Hypertension. 2003; 41: 1341-1345
- Elevated blood pressure and risk of end-stage renal disease in subjects without baseline kidney disease.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 923-928
- Blood pressure control, proteinuria, and the progression of renal disease.Ann Intern Med. 1995; 123: 754-762
- The role of hypertension in the progression of renal diseases.Am J Kidney Dis. 1991; 17: 43-47
- Renal hemodynamic changes during smoking- effects of adrenoreceptor blockade.Eur J Clin Investig. 1999; 29: 1010-1018
- Smoking--a renal risk factor.Nephron. 2000; 86: 12-26
- Kidney disease as a risk factor for development of cardiovascular disease: a statement from the American Heart Association Councils on Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease, High Blood Pressure Research, Clinical Cardiology, and Epidemiology and Prevention.Circulation. 2003; 108: 2154-2169
- Cigarette smoking, cardiovascular disease, and stroke : a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 1997; 96: 3243-3247
- Cigarette smoking exacerbates and its cessation ameliorates renal injury in type 2 diabetes.Am J Med Sci. 2004; 327: 57-67
- Smoking cessation in patients with chronic kidney disease.CANNT J. 2010; 20: 24-29
- Stopping smoking slows accelerated progression of renal failure in primary renal disease.J Nephrol. 2002; 15: 270-274
- National guidelines for smoking cessation in primary care: a literature review and evidence analysis.NPJ Prim Care Respir Med. 2017; 27: 2
- Additional behavioural support as an adjunct to pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 10: CD009670
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Five Major Steps to Intervention (The "5 A's"). http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/clinicians-providers/guidelines-recommendations/tobacco/5steps.html. Accessed August 9, 2017.
- Tobacco use screening and counseling during physician office visits among adults—National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey and National Health Interview Survey, United States, 2005–2009.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 38-45
- Patients in context–EHR capture of social and behavioral determinants of health.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 698-701
- Physician advice for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 5: CD000165
- Patient satisfaction and discussion of smoking cessation during clinical visits.Mayo Clin Proc. 2001; 76: 138-143
- The Tobacco Use and Dependence Clinical Practice Guideline Panel Staff, and Consortium Representatives. A clinical practice guideline for treating tobacco use and dependence: a US Public Health Service report.JAMA. 2000; 283: 3244-3254
- Shape of the relapse curve and long-term abstinence among untreated smokers.Addiction. 2004; 99: 29-38
- Stages of change.J Clin Psychol. 2011; 67: 143-154
- Stages and processes of self-change of smoking: toward an integrative model of change.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1983; 51: 390-395
- Stages of change and decisional balance for 12 problem behaviors.Health Psychol. 1994; 13: 39-46
- What is motivational interviewing?.Behav Cogn Psychother. 2009; 23: 325-334
- Motivational interviewing for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 3: CD006936
- Effect on smoking quit rate of telling patients their lung age: the Step2quit randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2008; 336: 598-600
- Clinical Practice Guideline Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence 2008 Update Panel, Liaisons, and Staff. A clinical practice guideline for treating tobacco use and dependence: 2008 update. A U.S. Public Health Service report.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: 158-176
- Internet-based interventions for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 7: CD007078
- Mobile phone-based interventions for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 4: CD006611
National Cancer Institute. Quitting is a journey. https://smokefree.gov/. Accessed December 14, 2017.
American Lung Association. Freedom from smoking. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/join-freedom-from-smoking/. Accessed August 8, 2017.
- Effectiveness of extended-duration transdermal nicotine therapy: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 144-151
- Estimating the number of quit attempts it takes to quit smoking successfully in a longitudinal cohort of smokers.BMJ Open. 2016; 6: e011045
- Metabolic effects of smoking cessation.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2016; 12: 299-308
- Interventions for preventing weight gain after smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 1: CD006219
- Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 11: CD000146
- Pharmacological interventions for smoking cessation: an overview and network meta-analysis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 5: CD009329
- Smoking cessation therapy considerations for patients with chronic kidney disease.Nephrol Nurs J. 2008; 35: 357-364
- Pharmacokinetics of bupropion and its metabolites in hemodialysis patients who smoke.Nephron Clin Pract. 2004; 97: 83-89
- Effect of renal impairment on the pharmacokinetics of bupropion and its metabolites.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2007; 64: 165-173
Varenicline [medication guide]. 2009. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/021928s012s013lbl.pdf. Accessed August 4, 2017.
- Neuropsychiatric safety and efficacy of varenicline, bupropion, and nicotine patch in smokers with and without psychiatric disorders (EAGLES): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 2507-2520
- The PHQ-9 Validity of a Brief Depression Severity Measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Triple-combination pharmacotherapy for medically ill smokers- a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 447-455
- Is a combination of varenicline and nicotine patch more effective in helping smokers quit than varenicline alone? A randomized controlled trial.BMC Med. 2013; 11: 1-7
- Combination varenicline and bupropion SR for tobacco-dependence treatment in cigarette smokers: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2014; 311: 155-163
- Psychological distress and depression in patients with chronic kidney disease.Semin Dial. 2012; 25: 428-438
- Depression in end-stage renal disease patients: a critical review.Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2007; 14: 328-334
- Anxiety disorders in adults treated by hemodialysis: a single-center study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2008; 52: 128-136
- Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 9: CD010216
- Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1629-1637
- E-cigarettes and smoking cessation in real-world and clinical settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Respir Med. 2016; 4: 116-128
- Evaluation of electronic cigarette liquids and aerosol for the presence of selected inhalation toxins.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 168-174
- Overt proteinuria and microalbuminuria in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1994; 5: 1349-1354
- Clinical prognostic factors in lupus nephritis: the importance of hypertension and smoking.Arch Intern Med. 1992; 152: 2082-2088
- Smoking and cardiovascular outcomes in dialysis patients: the United States Renal Data System Wave 2 study.Kidney Int. 2003; 63: 1462-1467
- Age, blood pressure and smoking effects on chronic renal failure in primary glomerular nephropathies.Kidney Int. 2000; 57: 2519-2526
- Vascular disease, ESRD, and death: interpreting competing risk analyses.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7: 1606-1614
- Healthy lifestyle and risk of kidney disease progression, atherosclerotic events, and death in CKD: findings from the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 65: 412-424
- Smoking and adverse outcomes in patients with CKD: the Study of Heart and Renal Protection (SHARP).Am J Kidney Dis. 2016; 68: 371-380
The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Ltd. Supporting smoking cessation: a guide for for health professionals. 2014; http://www.racgp.org.au/your-practice/guidelines/smoking-cessation/. Accessed August 8, 2017.
CAN-ADAPTT. Canadian Smoking Cessation Clinical Practice Guideline. https://www.nicotinedependenceclinic.com/English/CANADAPTT/Documents/CAN-ADAPTT Canadian Smoking Cessation Guideline_website.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2017.
Ministry of Health. Background and Recommendations of the New Zealand Guidelines for Helping People to Stop Smoking. 2014; https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/background-recommendations-new-zealand-guidelines-for-helping-stop-smoking-mar15-v2.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2017.
Friend J, Bery J, Gierson T, et al. A guide to smoking cessation in Scotland 2010: Planning and providing specialist smoking cessation services. 2017. http://www.healthscotland.scot/media/1096/a-guide-to-smoking-cessation-in-scotland-2017.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2017.
- South African tobacco smoking cessation clinical practice guideline.S Afr Med J. 2013; 103: 869-876
- Smoking cessation guidelines for health professionals- an update.Thorax. 2000; 55: 987-999
- Behavioral and pharmacotherapy interventions for tobacco smoking cessation in adults, including pregnant women: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 622-634
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Perry Formanek, MD, Elizabeth Salisbury-Afshar, MD, MPH, and Majid Afshar, MD, MSCR.
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Peer Review: Received September 5, 2017, in response to an invitation from the journal. Evaluated by 3 external peer reviewers, with direct editorial input from the Feature Editor and a Deputy Editor. Accepted in revised form January 21, 2018.