Rationale & Objective
Setting & Participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Management of the diabetic patient with advanced chronic kidney disease.Semin Dial. 2010; 23: 140-147
- US Renal Data System 2016 annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: A7-A8
- Transition of care from pre-dialysis prelude to renal replacement therapy: the blueprints of emerging research in advanced chronic kidney disease.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017; 32: ii91-ii98
- Patterns and predictors of early mortality in incident hemodialysis patients: new insights.Am J Nephrol. 2012; 35: 548-558
- Updates on the management of diabetes in dialysis patients.Semin Dial. 2014; 27: 135-145
- The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 977-986
- 13: Relative efficacy of randomly allocated diet, sulphonylurea, insulin, or metformin in patients with newly diagnosed non-insulin dependent diabetes followed for three years.BMJ. 1995; 310: 83-88
- Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2545-2559
- Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 129-139
- Effect of intensive treatment of hyperglycaemia on microvascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes: an analysis of the ACCORD randomised trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 419-430
- Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2560-2572
- The association between symptomatic, severe hypoglycaemia and mortality in type 2 diabetes: retrospective epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD study.BMJ. 2010; 340: b4909
- Haemodialysis-induced hypoglycaemia and glycaemic disarrays.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2015; 11: 302-313
- Evaluation and management of diabetic and non-diabetic hypoglycemia in end-stage renal disease.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2016; 31: 8-15
- Glycemic control and cardiovascular mortality in hemodialysis patients with diabetes: a 6-year cohort study.Diabetes. 2012; 61: 708-715
- National trends in US hospital admissions for hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia among Medicare beneficiaries, 1999 to 2011.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1116-1124
- Trends in hospital admissions for hypoglycaemia in England: a retrospective, observational study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 677-685
- Increased mortality of patients with diabetes reporting severe hypoglycemia.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 1897-1901
- Severe hypoglycemia and risks of vascular events and death.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1410-1418
- Economic burden of hypoglycemia: utilization of emergency department and outpatient services in the United States (2005-2009).J Med Econ. 2016; 19: 852-857
- Frequency of hypoglycemia and its significance in chronic kidney disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: 1121-1127
- Hypoglycaemia, chronic kidney disease and death in type 2 diabetes: the Hong Kong diabetes registry.BMC Endocr Disord. 2014; 14: 48
- Chronic kidney disease and intensive glycemic control increase cardiovascular risk in patients with type 2 diabetes.Kidney Int. 2015; 87: 649-659
- Prevalence and prognosis of hypoglycaemia in patients receiving maintenance dialysis.Intern Med J. 2016; 46: 1380-1385
- Predialysis cardiovascular disease medication adherence and mortality after transition to dialysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2016; 68: 609-618
- Association of slopes of estimated glomerular filtration rate with post-end-stage renal disease mortality in patients with advanced chronic kidney disease transitioning to dialysis.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 196-207
- Prognostic significance of pre-end-stage renal disease serum alkaline phosphatase for post-end-stage renal disease mortality in late-stage chronic kidney disease patients transitioning to dialysis.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2018; 33: 264-273
- Association between vascular access creation and deceleration of estimated glomerular filtration rate decline in late-stage chronic kidney disease patients transitioning to end-stage renal disease.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017; 32: 1330-1337
- Dosing of U-100 insulin and associated outcomes among Medicare enrollees with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.Clin Interv Aging. 2015; 10: 991-1001
- Association of depression with increased risk of severe hypoglycemic episodes in patients with diabetes.Ann Fam Med. 2013; 11: 245-250
- Risk factors for hypoglycemia-related hospitalization in patients with type 2 diabetes: a nested case-control study.Clin Ther. 2011; 33: 1781-1791
- Association between use of warfarin with common sulfonylureas and serious hypoglycemic events: retrospective cohort analysis.BMJ. 2015; 351: h6223
- VIReC Research User Guide: VHA Medical SAS Datasets FY2006-2007.VA Information Resource Center, Hines, IL2007
- Pain and kidney function decline and mortality: a cohort study of US veterans.Am J Kidney Dis. 2016; 68: 240-246
- Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative databases.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 613-619
- VIReC Research User Guide: VHA Pharmacy Prescription Data.2nd ed. VA Information Resource Center, Hines, IL2008
- Kidney function decline in metformin versus sulfonylurea initiators: assessment of time-dependent contribution of weight, blood pressure, and glycemic control.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013; 22: 623-631
- VIReC Resource Guide: VA Corporate Data Warehouse.VA Information Resource Center, Hines, IL2012
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- USRDS Special Study Center on Transition of Care in CKD.USRDS, Bethesda, MD2014
- Patient-reported and actionable safety events in CKD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 25: 1564-1573
- Hypoglycemia, functional brain failure, and brain death.J Clin Invest. 2007; 117: 868-870
- Mechanisms of abnormal cardiac repolarization during insulin-induced hypoglycemia.Diabetes. 2003; 52: 1469-1474
- Baroreflex sensitivity predicts long-term cardiovascular mortality after myocardial infarction even in patients with preserved left ventricular function.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 50: 2285-2290
- Should restrictions be relaxed for metformin use in chronic kidney disease? Yes, they should be relaxed! What's the fuss?.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 1287-1291
- Case 23-2013: a 54-year-old woman with metformin toxicity.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1769
- Should restrictions be relaxed for metformin use in chronic kidney disease? No, we should never again compromise safety!.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 1281-1286
- Metformin in chronic kidney disease: more harm than help?.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 579-581
- Restricting metformin in CKD: continued caution warranted.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 66: 1101-1102
- Risks of metformin in type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease: lessons learned from Taiwanese data.Nephron. 2017; 135: 147-153
- Pioglitazone use and risk of bladder cancer: population based cohort study.BMJ. 2016; 352: i1541
- Thiazolidinedione use, fluid retention, and congestive heart failure: a consensus statement from the American Heart Association and American Diabetes Association. October 7, 2003.Circulation. 2003; 108: 2941-2948
- Mechanisms of diabetes mellitus-induced bone fragility.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2017; 13: 208-219
FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA revises warnings regarding use of the diabetes medicine metformin in certain patients with reduced kidney function. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety. Accessed March 20, 2018.
Complete author and article information provided before references.
Authors’ Full Names and Academic Degrees: Connie M. Rhee, MD, MSc, Csaba P. Kovesdy, MD, Amy S. You, MS, John J. Sim, MD, Melissa Soohoo, MPH, Elani Streja, MPH, PhD, Miklos Z. Molnar, MD, PhD, Alpesh N. Amin, MD, MBA, Kevin Abbott, MD, MPH, Danh V. Nguyen, MS, PhD, and Kamyar Kalantar-Zadeh, MD, MPH, PhD.
Authors’ Contributions: Research idea and study design: CMR, CPK, KA, KK-Z; data acquisition: CPK, KK-Z; data interpretation: CMR, CPK, ASY, JJS, MS, ES, MZM, ANA, KA, DVN, KK-Z; statistical analysis: ASY; supervision or mentorship: CMR, CPK KK-Z. Each author contributed important intellectual content during manuscript drafting or revision and accepts accountability for the overall work by ensuring that questions pertaining to the accuracy or integrity of any portion of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Support: The study was supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH)/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) U01DK102163 grant (Drs Kalantar-Zadeh and Kovesdy), University of California Irvine Department of Medicine Chairman’s Award (Dr Rhee), and by resources from the US Department of VA. The authors are supported by research grants from the NIH/NIDDK: K23-DK102903 (Dr Rhee), K24-DK091419 (Dr Kalantar-Zadeh), R01-DK09568 (Dr Kalantar-Zadeh), R01-DK078106 (Dr Kalantar-Zadeh), U01-DK102163 (Drs Kalantar-Zadeh and Kovesdy), and R01-DK092232 (Dr Nguyen). Drs Kovesdy, Streja, and Kalantar-Zadeh are employees of the Department of VA. Dr Streja is supported by a career development award from the Office of Research and Development of the Department of VA (IK2- CX 001266-01). Support for VA/CMS data is provided by the Department of VA, Veterans Health Administration, Office of Research and Development, VA Information Resource Center (project numbers SDR 02-237 and 98-004). The sponsor participated in the study design, interpretation of data, and writing of the report, but did not participate in the data collection, analysis, or decision to submit the report for publication.
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no other relevant financial interests.
Disclaimer: The interpretation and reporting of these data are the responsibility of the authors and in no way should be seen as official policy or interpretation of the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The data reported here have been supplied by the USRDS. The interpretation and reporting of these data are the responsibility of the authors and in no way should be seen as an official policy or interpretation of the US government.
Prior Presentation: Portions of these data were presented as an oral abstract at the 2016 American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week Meeting, November 3-8, 2016, Chicago, IL.
Peer Review: Received December 17, 2017. Evaluated by 2 external peer reviewers, with direct editorial input from a Statistics/Methods Editor, an Associate Editor, and the Editor-in-Chief. Accepted in revised form April 27, 2018.