What Does This Important Study Show?
How Does This Study Compare With Prior Studies?
The Human Protein Atlas.
What Are the Implications for Nephrologists?
- Dapagliflozin in patients with chronic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1436-1446
- EMPA-REG OUTCOME Investigators. Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- Canagliflozin and renal outcomes in type 2 diabetes and nephropathy.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 2295-2306
- mTORC1 activation in podocytes is a critical step in the development of diabetic nephropathy in mice.J Clin Invest. 2011; 121: 2181-2196
- Role of mTOR in podocyte function and diabetic nephropathy in humans and mice.J Clin Invest. 2011; 121: 2197-2209
- Proximal tubule mTORC1 is a central player in the pathophysiology of diabetic nephropathy and its correction by SGLT2 inhibitors.Cell Rep. 2020; 32107954
- The role of cannabinoid signaling in acute and chronic kidney diseases.Kidney Int. 2018; 94: 252-258
- Cannabinoid receptor 1 blockade ameliorates albuminuria in experimental diabetic nephropathy.Diabetes. 2010; 59: 1046-1054
- Elevated cannabinoid receptor 1 and G protein-coupled receptor 55 expression in proximal tubule cells and whole kidney exposed to diabetic conditions.Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2015; 42: 256-262
- Cannabinoid-1 receptor deletion in podocytes mitigates both glomerular and tubular dysfunction in a mouse model of diabetic nephropathy.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2018; 20: 698-708
- Cannabinoid receptor 1 disturbance of PPARγ2 augments hyperglycemia induction of mesangial inflammation and fibrosis in renal glomeruli.J Mol Med. 2014; 92: 779-792
- Overactive cannabinoid 1 receptor in podocytes drives type 2 diabetic nephropathy.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111: E5420-E5428
- Blockade of cannabinoid receptor 1 improves insulin resistance, lipid metabolism, and diabetic nephropathy in db/db mice.Endocrinology. 2012; 153: 1387-1396
- Opposite physiological and pathological mTORC1-mediated roles of the CB1 receptor in regulating renal tubular function.Nat Commun. 2022; 13: 1-18
- Modulation of renal GLUT2 by the cannabinoid-1 receptor: implications for the treatment of diabetic nephropathy.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018; 29: 434-448
- Glucose transporters in the kidney in health and disease.Pflugers Arch. 2020; 472: 1345-1370
- Loss of function of renal Glut2 reverses hyperglycaemia and normalises body weight in mouse models of diabetes and obesity.Diabetologia. 2022; 65: 1032-1047
- GLUT2 mutations, translocation, and receptor function in diet sugar managing.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009; 296: E985-E992
- Animal models of chronic kidney disease: useful but not perfect.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013; 28: 2432-2438
- Mouse models of diabetic nephropathy.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 2503-2512
- Tissue-based map of the human proteome.Science. 2015; 3471260419
- The Human Protein Atlas.
- Glomerular endothelial cell-podocyte stresses and crosstalk in structurally normal kidney transplants.Kidney Int. 2022; 101: 779-792
- An atlas of healthy and injured cell states and niches in the human kidney. bioRxiv. Preprint posted online July 29, 2021.