Rationale & Objective
Setting & Participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology and prevention of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage in hemodialyzed patients.Medecine et Maladies Infectieuses. 2011; 41: 469-474https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medmal.2011.05.005
- Persistent nasal methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus carriage in hemodialysis outpatients: a predictor of worse outcome.BMC Nephrology. 2013; 93https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2369-14-93
- Reduction of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage and infection in dialysis patients.Journal of Hospital Infection. 1998; 40: 13-23https://doi.org/10.1016/s0195-6701(98)90200-6
- Screening and treatment for Staphylococcus aureus in patients undergoing hemodialysis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Nephrology. 2014; 15: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2369-15-202
- Decolonization in prevention of health care-associated infections.Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 2016; 29: 201-221https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.00049-15
- Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization: An update on mechanisms, epidemiology, risk factors, and subsequent infections.Frontiers in Microbiology. 2018; 9https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.02419
- Staphylococcus aureus: Determinants of human carriage.Infection, Genetics and Evolution. 2014; 21: 531-541https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meegid.2013.03.020
- Staphylococcus aureus infections in hemodialysis: What a nephrologist should know.Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2009; 4: 1388-1400https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.01590309
- Decolonization of Staphylococcus aureus carriage.Medecine et Maladies Infectieuses. 2017; 47: 305-310https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medmal.2016.10.005
- The role of nasal carriage in Staphylococcus aureus infections.Lancet Infectious Diseases. 2005; 5: 751-762https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(05)70295-4
- Nasal carriage of meticillin resistant staphylococcus aureus:the prevalence, patients at risk and the effect of elimination on outcomes among outclinic haemodialysis patients.European Journal Of Medical Research. 2007; 12: 284-288
- Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation Nasal mupirocin ointment decreases the incidence of Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemias in haemodialysis patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1993; 8: 235-239
- Prevention of bloodstream infections in patients undergoing hemodialysis.Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2020; 15: 132-151https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.06820619
Bloom BS, Fendrick AM, Chernew ME, Pate1 P. Clinical and Economic Effects of Mupirocin Calcium on Preventing Staphylococcus aureus Infection in Hemodialysis Patients: A Decision Analysis. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 1996;27(5):687-694. DOI: 10.1016/s0272-6386(96)90104-3
- Effectiveness of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus decolonization in long-term haemodialysis patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal of Hospital Infection. 2015; 91: 250-256https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2015.08.015
- Photodynamic inactivation of bacteria to decolonize meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from human skin.British Journal of Dermatology. 2018; 179: 1358-1367https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.17152
- Nonconventional Therapeutics against Staphylococcus aureus.Microbiology Spectrum. 2018; 6https://doi.org/10.1128/microbiolspec.gpp3-0047-2018
Meller DM, Hickok J, Andersen R, Loebel NG, Wilson M. Photodisinfection Therapy: Essential Technology for Infection Control. The Infection Prevention Strategy. Published online 2020. https://infectioncontrol.tips/2020/01/17/photodisinfection-therapy/
- Antibacterial photodynamic therapy: overview of a promising approach to fight antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections.Journal of Clinical and Translational Research. 2015; 1: 140-167https://doi.org/10.18053/jctres.201503.002
Street CN, Pedigo L, Gibbs A, Loebel NG. Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy for the decolonization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from the anterior nares. In: Photodynamic Therapy: Back to the Future. Vol 7380. SPIE; 2009:73803B. doi:10.1117/12.828279
- Efficacy and acceptability of treatment to eradicate nasal Staphylococcus aureus carriage among haemodialysis patients.Nephrology. 2019; 24: 744-750https://doi.org/10.1111/nep.13474
Weinstein MP, Lewis JS, Bobenchik AM, et al. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing.; 2020:282. Published online 2022. https://clsi.org/standards/products/microbiology/documents/m100/.
- How resistant is Staphylococcus aureus to the topical antibiotic mupirocin?.Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance. 2017; 8: 102-103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgar.2016.12.002
- The Persistence of Staphylococcus aureus Decolonization After Mupirocin and Topical Chlorhexidine: Implications for Patients Requiring Multiple or Delayed Procedures.Journal of Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 870-876https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2012.01.010
- Development of Mupirocin Resistance Among Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus After Widespread Use of Nasal Mupirocin Ointment.Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 1996; 17: 811-813
- Mupirocin resistance: Clinical implications and potential alternatives for the eradication of mrsa.Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2015; 70: 2681-2692https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkv169
- Staphylococcus aureus: visitando uma cepa de importância hospitalar.Jornal Brasileiro de Patologia e Medicina Laboratorial. 2007; 43: 413-423
- Photodynamic therapy in the treatment of microbial infections: Basic principles and perspective applications.Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. 2006; 38: 468-481https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.20361
- Photodynamic therapy: A new antimicrobial approach to infectious disease?.Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences. 2004; 3: 436-450https://doi.org/10.1039/b311900a
- Nasal photodisinfection and chlorhexidine wipes decrease surgical site infections: A historical control study and propensity analysis.Journal of Hospital Infection. 2014; 88: 89-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2014.06.017
- Methylene blue in photodynamic therapy: From basic mechanisms to clinical applications.Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy. 2005; 2: 175-191https://doi.org/10.1016/S1572-1000(05)00097-9
- Photophysical, photochemical, and photobiological characterization of methylene blue formulations for light-activated root canal disinfection.Journal of Biomedical Optics. 2007; 12034029https://doi.org/10.1117/1.2745982
- Binding, Aggregation and Photochemical Properties of Methylene Blue in Mitochondrial Suspensions.Photochemistry and Photobiology. 2004; 79: 227https://doi.org/10.1562/be-03-27.1
da Collina GA, Freire F, Santos TP da C, et al. Controlling methylene blue aggregation: a more efficient alternative to treat Candida albicans infections using photodynamic therapy. Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences. 2018;17(10):1355-1364. doi:10.1039/C8PP00238J
- Self-aggregation of Methylene Blue in aqueous medium and aqueous solutions of Bu4NBr and urea.Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 2000; 2: 4313-4317https://doi.org/10.1039/b005370h
- Effect of photodynamic therapy on the virulence factors of Staphylococcus aureus.Frontiers in Microbiology. 2016; 7https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2016.00267
- Contemporary approaches and future perspectives of antibacterial photodynamic therapy (aPDT) against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): A systematic review.European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2020; 200https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2020.112341
- Decolonization to Reduce Postdischarge Infection Risk among MRSA Carriers.New England Journal of Medicine. 2019; 380: 638-650https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1716771
- Decolonization to Prevent Infections with Staphylococcus aureus in Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis: A Review of Current Evidence.Seminars in Dialysis. 2011; 24: 533-539https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-139X.2011.00959.x
- Elimination of Staphylococcus aureus in Hemodialysis Patients.ASAIO Journal. 1995; 41: 127-131
Nigro C, Nigro J, Mion O, Jr J. Nasal Valve: anatomy and physiology. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;75(2):305-310. doi:https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-72992009000200024
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
5 Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Clinical Hospital, University of São Paulo Medical School, São Paulo, Brazil.
Funding: Government grant (National Council for Scientific and Technological Development process:3146682020-9).
Trial Registration: Registered at ClinicalTrials.gov with study number NCT04047914.
PLAIN LANGUAGE SUMMARY:
Prior studies have demonstrated that colonization of the surfaces of the nose by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus is a risk factor for systemic infection and death among patients with chronic kidney disease receiving maintenance dialysis. This study was motivated by the possibility of using a bactericidal treatment, photodynamic therapy, that kills nasal bacteria using specific types of light without inducing bacterial resistance as occurs with topical antibiotic medications. We conducted a pilot study to guide subsequent research aimed at understanding if the effectiveness of photodynamic therapy nasal decolonization is similar to standard antibiotic treatment in patients nasal Staphylococcus aureus undergoing hemodialysis. We found that photodynamic therapy was both accepted and well-tolerated by patients. Larger studies will be needed to definitively assess if it is equal in its effectiveness to topical antibiotics.
Authors’ Contributions: Research idea and study design DTB, SKB, KPSF, RAMF; data acquisition: DTB, ALSA, LJM; data analysis/interpretation: RBC, ALM, FR; statistical analysis: AMD, RAP; supervision or mentorship: ACRTH, MJM, FR, BJP, CF. Each author contributed important intellectual content during manuscript drafting or revision and agrees to be personally accountable for the individual’s own contributions and to ensure that questions pertaining to the accuracy or integrity of any portion of the work, even one in which the author was not directly involved, are appropriately investigated, and resolved, including with documentation in the literature if appropriate.
Support: We would like to acknowledge the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development - CNPq (process:3146682020-9) for supporting this study. The funders had not a role in study design, data collection, analysis, reporting, or the decision to submit for publication.
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Data Sharing: Individual participant data underlying the results presented in the article, study protocol, and randomization code will be shared for the purpose of meta-analysis. Requests should be directed to the corresponding author.
Peer Review: Received Apr 02, 2022. Evaluated by 2 external peer reviewers, with direct editorial input from a Statistics/Methods Editor, an Associate Editor, and the Editor-in-Chief. Accepted in revised form September 11, 2022.